Pursuing an acting career can be lonely, especially if you live in a place where there are not so many others interested in the same thing. Here are several suggestions that might help you to overcome being so lonely.
1. Look for forums where other actors hang out. Start a thread and see what happens. Yes it’s only virtual contact, but maybe it’s better than nothing.
2. If you know someone, even if they don’t live in your town, you might be able to bounce some ideas off of them. Again it’s virtual, but at least it’s something.
3. People in your acting classes can be a good source of companionship. If you are anything like me, you don’t always make friends with everyone you run into. But I always find at least one person in classes that I like hanging around.
4. What I always encourage people to do who are pursuing an acting career is to create their own projects. Write your own story and get somebody to film it for you. Find another actor or two to participate in the project. This is perhaps one of the absolute best ways to find companionship and make some new actor friends. The good thing about this is that you can “cast” who you want to work with. If you need help finding other actors, acting teachers and schools can help with that.
5. If you are not in acting classes at the moment, maybe there are some industry events or seminars you might want to participate in. Another great place to meet others.
6. If you don’t want to organize your own film or stage project, look for others who might want to. Tell them you are available and ask if they will write a part just for you. Encourage others to do the same thing.
7. Start a “lonely actors club” that meets, say, once per week. Start projects. Do acting exercises together. Even just meet and go to dinner.
The other thing about classes is that you have to do scenes. To do scenes you have to rehearse, so there was always some kind of contact with at least one other actor. The only thing about that is, that your scene partner isn’t always someone you want to hang around, but at least you’re not completely left alone.
Some of the things I mentioned might work for you if you are pursuing an acting career and some might not. In the end, my personal opinion is that we have to reach out a little and then things start to come our way.
If you are feeling lonely, hang in there! Keep your head up. Do the work you need to do in the home-study course and before you know it, you will have a lot more company!